Jan 23, 2012

Standing Desk - My Experience

When I first posted about standing desk, I have to admit, I don't use one. So I tried one for myself using whatever I have in my house and create my own standing desk. A bit of a challenge I encountered is since my only computer is a laptop, I have to create a standing desk fit for a laptop.




Luckily, I have everything I needed at home, thinking outside the box was just the thing I needed. So, to make a standing desk:

1. First I followed computer ergonomics but this time, it is not meant to have a better sitting position but a better standing position while working. So here is the standing desk ergonomic that you should follow too:
2. Then I look for the things I need to achieve the needed ergonomics. I don't have a desk that high nor an external monitor for my laptop so here are some things I used:

Wire shelves as my laptop dock. 

2 "Durabox" stacked. 
A plastic box like this one


Curtain to cover the durabox.

Since I'm 5 feet 8 inches tall, 2 "Durabox" is not enough so I added 1 large speaker at the bottom to get my table height. 

My 1 week experience

1st day. My leg is aching but I'm experiencing more benefits compared when sitting like I'm more alert at work therefore I can do more tasks over a short amount of time. 
2nd day. Leg still hurts but I'm still more active at work. When I woke up what I first open do was my work and since I didn't feel sleepy, I was able to finish tasks faster. I'm not used to standing for hours so I sit from time to time.
3rd day. No more sleepy afternoon which is one of the greatest advantage of having a standing desk. 
4th day. Procrastination was minimized because I became more active. My breathing has also improved.
5th day. I did not noticed that I've been standing for hours. No more pain in my feet. 
6th day. Sitting desk is history, preferred standing desk more. I also noticed that my hands didn't hurt as much as when typing while sitting. 
7th day. My clients were very pleased on how productive I was. Got a bonus for it. :)

My goal for having a standing desk is productivity and ergonomics. I'm happy I was able to achieve that in just a span of 1 week thanks to my new desk. It may be not one of the best looking desk in the world, but it doesn't matter, because the advantage it has was never so close to a conventional desk.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your experience with a standing desk was so positive. I spend eight hours a day working at a desk and I've been wondering if I would work better with a standing desk. That's something I should really talk to my boss about.

    Susan Hirst | http://www.standsteady.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-original-stand-steady-standing-desk-stand-up-desk

    ReplyDelete
  2. American Idol has demonstrated to the freelancer general population that there is no lack of individuals who need to take the easy path into achievement and not pay their contribution.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Web Hosting Coupons